If you find the balloon tips on Windows XP system tray to be pretty annoying, how would like to disable them?
Use the following steps to disable Balloon tips pop-up reminders in the system tray. Keep in mind for those laptop users, you won't receive a pop-up stating that your laptop battery is low. The system tray icon will change to show it's low but you won't get a pop-up (which means you have to look down to notice it). The Windows wireless connections were starting to appear too often (stating connected and disconnect) so we shut the balloons off.
Open the registry. Of course your normal disclaimer here: You can really mess up your computer if you delete the wrong keys, but we are just adding so you should be alright.
1. Click on Start and then on Run.
2. In the open box type regedit and then click OK.
3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
4. Click on the folder that says Advanced. You will see a list of items on the right window pane.
5. Click on Edit, select New, and choose DWORD Value.
6. Name the new DWORD Value EnableBalloonTips.
7. Double-click this new entry, set the value to 0 and select Hexadecimal.
8. Reboot/Restart your computer by clicking Start --> Shutdown and then Restart.